The latest meeting of the Mediterranean Study Group on Diabetes held in Malta from 23rd to 26th of April, 2009, welcomed almost 400 participants, from different Mediterrean countries, and was the occasion of very fruitfull exchanges.
In keeping with tradition, the M.G.S.D. awarded this year again two prizes during the congress.
After a call for abstracts on the following themes:
– Acute and long-term management of type 1 diabetes
– Brain and diabetes
– From science to cost effectiveness
– How to evaluate the glycemic control: what are the best tools?
11 abstracts were selected as oral communications (*see list below) and 115 were accepted, corresponding to the above mentioned themes or on other issues, for presentation as posters.
A jury selected the two best posters out of those exhibited, and
– the Hippocrates Prize (best poster from the North bank of the Mediterranean) was awarded to Dr Sulyia Maimaitiming (France)
– the Averroes Prize (best poster from the South bank of the Mediterranean) was awarded to Dr Ali Al-Ashtar (Malta)
The two winners received a sum of € 1500 each, as well as an invitation for the next edition of the MGSD congress, to be held in 2011.
Abi-Khalil C., France
Alves M., Portugal
Barengo N.C., Spain
Benroubi M., Greece
Fava S., Malta
Gabriel R., Spain
Hannat S., Algeria
Limongi F., Italy
Mohammedi K., France
Slim I., Tunisia
Vella K., Malta