Date of birth: 1965 (September)
Place of birth: Athens, Greece
Marital status: Married
Foreign languages: English and French
1.University of Athens, Medical School: 1983-1990
2.Postgraduate education and previous service
- – Intern assistant: April 1994 – March 1996, 1st Internal Medicine
Department, Volos General Hospital, towards specialty in Internal Medicine.
- – Intern assistant: March, 1996 to May 1999, 3rd Internal Medicine Department,
NIMTS Hospital, Athens, pur¬suing completion of specialty in Internal Medicine.
- – Βoards in Internal Medicine, 1999
- – Clinical Research Associate in the Diabetes Center of Laiko Hospital, Athens
University Medical School, from January 2000 to December 2001
- – Consultant in Diabetology, in the Diabetes and Metabolism Department of the
General Hospital “Henry Dunant”, Athens, Greece, from September 2002 to
- – Current position: Since November 2003, Consultant in Internal Medicine and
Diabetology, 1st Dept. of Internal Medicine and Diabetes Center, Athens
University Medical School, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece.
MEMBER OF MEDICAL SOCIETIES
• Member of the steering committee of the European Diabetes Epidemiology Study Group (EDEG), an official study group of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (www.edeg.org)
• Member of the steering committee of the Hellenic Diabetes Society (www.ede.gr)
• Member of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes
Special interest in diabetes epidemiology, type 2 diabetes prevention, nutrition, clinical type 1 and type 2 diabetes
Scientific papers and publications
Thirty-nine full publications in international journals indexed in MEDLINE.
Member of the Editorial Stuff in “BMC Endocrine Disorders”
Reviewer for several international journals in the fields of diabetes, nutrition, and obesity (British Journal of Nutrition, Endocrine Practice, Drug Safety, Experimental Diabetes Research, Nutrition and Metabolism, European Journal of Clinical Investigation, Primary Care Diabetes, Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, BMC Endocrine Disorders. International Journal of Wound Healing).
PARTICIPATION IN LARGE EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDIES
RISK study (EEU-funded, European Group of Insulin Resistance)
DE-PLAN Study (EEU-funded, Type 2 Diabetes Prevention)
IMAGE study (EEU-funded, Type 2 Diabetes Prevention)
e-PREDICE study (EEU-funded, Management of Pre-Diabetes)
Participation in several clinical trials driven by the pharmaceutical industry in the field of diabetes and obesity
POSTGRADUATE EDUCATIONAL SERVICE
1) Participation in the clinical training of 4th and 6th year medical under¬gra¬¬duates in internal medicine and diabetes at the Athens University Medical School from Nov. 2003 until now.
2) Training of nurses in diabetes at General Hospital “Laiko” from Nov. 2003 until now.
3) Training of Senior House Officers in Diabetes and Internal Medicine at the Athens University Medical School from Nov. 2003 until now.